Saturday, May 25, 2019

India Votes for Integrity & Nationalism!


While reams have already been written about India’s 2019 Loksabha election results, one word which stuck with me was – Tsu-namo! Indeed it was a Modi tsunami – he single handedly swamped opposition parties in a unexpected and unprecedented deluge.

I wasn’t a Modi fan, for sure. I carried his Gujarat’s partisan impression for long with me. But I wasn’t alone – there were many people who saw him in that light and doubted his fairness as leader for a secular nation. But Modi is not just a politician – he is a phenomenon, rather a  “jaadugar” who silently weaved his magic around and kept on increasing his fan-base. No wonder, this election, people came out in hoards and inked their trust on Modi.

I find it magical that despite absence of any sort of wave in this election, how crores of completely unconnected people – separated by regions, caste, gender, economical strata, motives and even religion – together decided that they would vote for Modi! This was despite a poor economic performance and a big let down on his 2014 promises.



Again, there are multiple theories as to what helped Modi to do what he did, to my mind, people this time voted for integrity and nationalism – people believe beyond doubt that he is an honest, hard working leader and the one who has inspires a new sense of national pride through his actions.

You can say that I am one of the newer converts and very appreciative of his honesty, work-ethics, national pride and global networking. I am extremely happy that he comes back with an even better mandate and feel confident that this term of his would be a defining one for India in a very positive way.

The unexpected and unprecedented mandate also gives him and his party an opportunity to be more inclusive and rely on  “love” rather than “hate” to weave everyone into the national fabric respecting whatever faith, values and choices they have. That’s my hope!

No comments: